Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Whats Beef?

I know that I have been gone for a minute I need to find some time for my BLOG I kind of lost inspiration and I need to re -find it Dave Whats The Word has just began.
Now back to bloggin!!!
Beef is when supposedly grown men "Goons" define manliness for all black males.
Today as I awoke, through my door I heard my neighbors/dorm mates discussing me, and how I had a different vibe, and as I listened to their in depth conversation about me and how my differences must mean that I am less of a man and more than that, some other things.
As I continued listening I think I heard them talking about acts of violence against me ( I really hope they no better...because everybody has got somebody if you know what I mean trust I might be all nice and quiet and shit but I can mos def hold myself down ). So in my head begins this thought process...
Identity. I dont know what the case is with identity but everyone needs one. Some people let others dictate their identity, dictate their manner of speech and way of dress, this even extends to letting someone dictate how far you will go in life. It's not a struggle to be yourself, the struggle is trying to be like everyone else.As for me, I'm soft spoken, I love smart conversation, I enjoy art and other cultural things, I say hi to evryone, I dress different than my counterparts, basically I do me. You wont find ME spitting rap lyrics 24 hours a day or in any OD BIG CLOTHES because I'm not letting culture dictate or define me.
I will define the culture. At the end of the day, no matter how I choose to carry myself I'm still a man, and I will deal with any other man...man to man.We don't have to be friends, we don't even have to be neighborly, infact we can fight all day like cats and dogs and it's really nothing to me. But Please if you claim to be a "Goon" young men know that gossip is something females do.
To other young men...Don't let the culture portrayed to you, define you. We live in a time where those before us bore the weight of discrimination and racism.
A lot of us don't have any idea of what racism really is. So now as a people we are trying to find ourselves, and too often we let music execs and ceo's at fashion company tell us we are goons and goblins who wear baggy jeans sell dope, fight in the street...and though it is a way of survival and reality for many, young black men we are so much more that what we are told we can be...and thats beef. When I see my neighbors tonight I',m going to conduct myself as a man, and whatever jumps off....jumps off.
I have to leave it at that I'm sorry I had to vent and get that shit off my chest
People crack me up male/female it seems like right before the season changes everyone be on there shit and Im tired of it
signed
"Keep playing with me I am up for the games"
d a v e :) smiles

No comments: